Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tip of the Day: For Fall, Don't be Afraid of a little Color!

Today I decided to switch it up a bit and have some fun with my wardrobe and color. This is a far cry from my previous beliefs on fashion and matching. Although I still try to color coordinate, I am no longer afraid to stand out a bit but that is a continual work in progress.
When I was little, I was always a chubby and insecure little kid and never wanted to stand out, I wanted to blend in. Now, as I have become older and wiser, I have also become more comfortable in my own skin and with that, am no longer as afraid to stand out. I might also credit no longer having this fear to the fact that on any given day on the college campus which I work, there are hundreds of other people who are wearing more wacked out outfits than mine. Sometimes I wonder if students look in the mirror before they leave home, therefore I am willing to be a bit adventurous in my use of color in my wardrobe.
As I was shopping over the weekend with a friend (I just want to point out that I went strictly as a consultant and only purchased on item), I saw a mannequin wearing burnt orange tights and fell in love with the idea of adding a bit of splash and pizazz to my fall wardrobe. Therefore the one item I bought were the burnt orange and purple tights. By adding slight, unexpected pops of color, is not only an economical way ($4-8 a pair on sale) to spruce up your wardrobe, but also fun. When I woke up this morning and got dressed, I was determined to wear my new purple tights. Now I have worn unexpected colors of tights in the past, but often they have been more neutral colors as opposed to purple or orange. At first I was a bit apprehensive, but then decided to go with it and all day, I continued to receive compliments from my co-workers. Now I am not sure if they really loved my new and inventive use of color, or if they were just envious of my brashness to wear such a bold color, but either way, people continued to shower me with compliments all day. I also paired the purple tights with a fun pair or patent and gray Mary Jane's which also added to the overall look and appeal of the outfit. I was able to have fun, but still remain professional and appropriate for my work setting.
With all of the crazy fashions out there (just take a look at Lady GaGa's closet!!) adding color is a good way for people to be conservatively experimental. As you thumb through this falls catalogues, splashes of color are added in surprising ways. Next time you are out shopping, look for ways that you can add colorful, but fun different pieces to your fall attire. Some of my favorites inclued shoes, tights, scarfs, and big bold rings. Have fun, you deserve it and be sure to treat yourself and add color to your world!

No comments:

Post a Comment